Thursday, August 27, 2020

Episode #5: It Takes a Village - revisited "It's about the kids"

Intro/Monologue:    (STJ - SUBLIME)

Back in the 90's Hillary R. Clinton wrote a book called "It Takes a Village" about parenting.  At the time it was met with a mixed response  at best.  People that read it made it out to be gospel and loved HRC even more, others really didn't get it (me included at the time).  I took it as parents shirking their responsibilities and delegating to others. But that wasn't the point. I don't really like HRC but I get what she meant now.  Today's episode I would like to talk about how we have to rely on others all the time in sports and in parenting. 

    Segment #1 :  (Mr. Downtown, That Thing you do)  

    • Experiences with leaning on other coaches.  How this has helped me as a head coach but also required humility
    • I hate playing board games, card games etc.  However as a dad I have to do this
      • HRC Quote: “They [parents] can resist the impulse to ‘prove’ their love by showering children with things they do not need and give them precious time and attention instead.”
      • I love TV but it's more important to include kids, do what they want. Even though I view this as a sacrifice but it's not
      • Time is more important then stuff.
      • My son Vance Johnson's concept of "Give me an experience not a possession"
      • Mormon commercials that say "give your kids time"
    Segment #2:  (Count on me/ Bruno Mars) 
    • Interview with Mrs Coach Johnson
      • Tell us about your personal background
      • What is your coaching experience
      • How have you used your track and field experience to help you learn to rely on others to help you?
        • Does that take humility?
        • Was it easy to have that humility?
      • How does this relate to the concept that "It takes a village" to raise kids?
        • Do you rely on others in your parenting?
        • Do you feel others rely on  you ?
        • How does this work in your job as a teacher?
      • Anything else you'd like to tell us about how you have used sports to parent your kids?
    Segment #3 (I'm the Man / Killers)
    • Wrap up.
      • HRC Quote from "It Takes a Village"
        • “Parenthood has the power to redefine every aspect of life - marriage, work, relationships with family and friends. Those helpless bundles of power and promise that come into our world show us our true selves- who we are, who we are not, who we wish we could be.”
      • Thanks to Mrs. Coach Johnson
      • don't forget to go to facebook and like our page .facebook search "coach's cast"
      • don't forget to go to Apple podcasts and subscribe 
      • or if you are a spotify user please give us a follow there too.
        • Lastly you can find all show notes, links to things I've shown or used on our blog at coachscast.blogspot.com


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Episode #6: Challenging kids - "Reach for the stars"

    Intro/Monologue - Killers - Somebody told me      Welcome to the show - Today we are talking about challenges we get in life.  We have many ...